Incredible Health Benefits Of Onions You Must Know
Health Benefits Of Onions – Let’s start this journey by having a brief understanding of what onions really are, only then we will better understand the health benefits of onions. Onions are one of the very high nutrient containing food substances. Although they are not too rich in calories and energy, they are high in such nutrients like vitamins, minerals, antioxidants.
A study showed that a cup of sliced onion contains approximately 64 calories, 15 grams of carbohydrate, 0 grams of fat, 0 grams of cholesterol, 3 grams of fiber, 7 grams of sugar, 2 grams of protein and 10% or more of the daily value for vitamin C, vitamin B-6 and manganese. Onions also contain small amounts of calcium, iron, folate, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium and the antioxidants quercetin and sulfur.
With these knowledge in mind, let’s quickly highlight those important health benefits of onions that you have to always consider and then see how you incorporate onions in your daily meals.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF EATING ONIONS
1. Prevention Of Cancer: Onions possess a compound (plant pigment) called quercetin, which contains potent antioxidants that counteracts the ill effects of free cancer_causing radicals. By doing this, onions help in fighting against cancer.
2. Lowers Cholesterol: Intake of raw onions lowers the production of certain bad cholesterol, thus keeping the heart in a healthy state.
3. Prevents gastric ulcer: Onions prevent the chances of developing gastric ulcers by scavenging free radicals.
4. Improves immune system: Onions are rich in phytochemicals along with vitamin C which promotes healthier, more improved immune system.
5. Anti-inflammatory: Do you have joint pain? Onions have an anti-inflammatory properties which help relieve joint pain and even arthritis.
6. Digestion: Onions maintain a good digestive system. It contains fiber, which prevents digestive pain, aids food breakdown and reduces constipation.
7. Bone Density: In older women, onions have been found to bolster bone density.
8. A study has found that women in menopause who incorporated onions into their diet had 20% lower risk of health disease.
9. Lowers Blood Pressure: Onions contain sulphur which prevents blood clotting and as such reduces blood pressure and then prevents the chances of heart attack.
10. Healthy Skin: Onions contain Biotin which plays an important role in maintaining good healthy skin.
BONUS: Onions, when coated around the feet, absorb toxins especially while asleep, and it purifies the blood too. Among other health benefits, onions have anti-bacterial and anti-viral benefits and thus, kills bacterial, germs and pathogens.