Iceland Visa Application Process and Duration – How To Apply
Iceland Visa Application – Didn’t know Iceland do visa lottery? That’s the essence of this article, to bring you to the full spotlight of Iceland visa lottery application/requirements. Geographically, Iceland is one of the Nordic Countries located in the North Atlantic Ocean and considered part of Europe.
With a population of 332,529 and an area of 103,000 km2 (40,000 sq mi), it is the most sparsely populated country in Europe. Reykjavík is its capital city. One more fun stuff; Iceland is volcanically active.
Whatever visa you will be issued will depend solely on your purpose of visit.
In this article, we have provided the Iceland visa application process and the time duration.
Types of Visas
There are different types of visas. You apply for the kind of visa that suits the purpose of your travel. These visas include:
- Short-term visa: This visa is for those who want to go to Iceland for a holiday.
- Single-entry visa: This visa allows you to enter Iceland once. When you’ve exited Iceland, you are not permitted to enter the country again. This visa is valid for 90 days within six months.
- Double-entry visa: With a double-entry visa, you are allowed to enter Iceland twice. The total number of days spent in the country with each visit must not exceed 90 days.
- Multiple-entry visa: You may enter the country as many times as you like. There are one, three and five-year multiple-entry visas each visit allows you to stay in Iceland for up to 90 days.
The current processing time for an Iceland visa application is up to four weeks from the moment you submit it at VFS Global in Abuja or Lagos.
After this has been done, the Consulate will let you know if your visa has been granted within 15 days of receiving the application.
Iceland Visa Requirements
Before submitting your passport and other documentation, you must register your application online through the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration’s Application Portal.
Once you have registered, you will receive a confirmation by email with a cover letter attached.
Also, the following documents are required:
- To fill the form, you need to download the application form then fill it completely. You can also fill the Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- 2 photos in passport format must be attached; a recent whole-face capture with a light background
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Confirmation of your travel health insurance of minimum 30,000 € coverage within Iceland and the entire Schengen area.
- A cover letter stating the purpose of your travel to Iceland and itinerary
- Flight Itinerary with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Iceland
- Accommodation/hotel reservation for the duration of stay in Iceland.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Bank statement or proof of sufficient funds for the period of stay in Iceland.
- As the European Commission communicates, a foreign national, according to the Icelandic Law when applying for an Icelandic Visa, must attest owning an amount of subsistence of 4,000 ISK or 28.83€/day to the Icelandic Embassy or Consulate. While the amount of money required for each entry to the territory of Iceland is 20,000 ISK or 144.13€.
AS AN EMPLOYED APPLICANT; you will be required to submit
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from the employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
As a student;
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
- Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
Note: The signed application form must be accompanied by the rest of the above-mentioned mandatory documents and handed personally at the appropriate embassy/consulate or its representative in your home country.
Additional Documents Required
1. Iceland Tourist/Visitor Visa requirements:
- An invitation letter from your family or friends in Iceland with the address and phone number, if applicable
- Bank statement of the last 6 months.
- Passport copies.
2. Iceland Schengen Visa for Medical Purposes
- A local medical report.
- A medical attestation from the hospital or doctor in Iceland, confirming the date of your appointment as well as your medical situation.
- Payment receipt of medical fees.
3. Iceland Schengen Visa for Business Purposes:
- Invitation letter from the Icelandic company you will be visiting and their detailed address accompanied with the dates of your visit.
- A certificate from your employer allowing your business travel.
- If there were previous trade relations between the two companies, proof of such events must be provided.
- Business bank statement for the latest 6 months.
- Memorandum and Article of Association in original certified copy (registered with joint-stock companies) Trade License (first issued and present renewal), Proprietorship/Partnership documents.
- Regarding the applicant’s expenses during stay in the Schengen zone, either the employer or the partner company must state coverage of expenses on the letter or invitation.
4. Iceland Schengen Visa for Underage Children:
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license).
- Notarized travel permission from parents (parental travel consent).
- If one parent lives in another country, their notarized parental travel consent must be provided.
5. Iceland Schengen Visa for Study, Training, Research, or another type of Internship Purposes:
- An enrollment certificate allowing attendance of courses.
- Certificate of completion or courses attended.
- Financial sustenance.
Note! Please consult with the Embassy of Iceland in your home country for any requirements updates!
Click Here For More Information