Online Game – God of War Game – God of War Game Series List in Order of Release and Storyline: God of War is an action-adventure game franchise created by David Jaffe at Sony’s Santa Monica Studio. It began in 2005 on the PlayStation 2 video game console, and has become a flagship title for the PlayStation brand, consisting of eight games across multiple platforms with a ninth currently in development
God of War Games in Chronological Order
God of war games is not less than one of the most recognizable names in history. God of war games is a long-running franchise that compasses through numerous platforms and it played no minor part in establishing Sony’s PlayStation as a dominant brand from the 6th console generation onward.
A Brief History of God of War Games
God of war is an action-adventure game franchise that is created by David Jaffe at Sony’s Santa Monica studio. It began on the PlayStation 2 video game console and it has become a flagship title for the PlayStation brand which consists of eight games across numerous platforms with a ninth currently in development.
Based on ancient mythology the story follows Kratos a Spartan warrior who was tricked into killing his family by his former master the Greek god of war Ares. It sets a series of events that leads to wars with the mythological pantheons.
The Greek mythology era of the series sees Kratos follow a path of vengeance due to the machinations of the Olympian gods while the Norse mythology era which introduces his son Atreus as a secondary protagonist, shows an older Kratos on a path of redemption which inadvertently brings the two into conflicts with the Norse gods.
God of War Games in Chronological Order
Here are the lists of God of war games in chronological order of their release:
- God of war: The release date was March 22, 2005. Platforms: PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita. This is the first game, the original God of war the one that started it all. The game introduces many mechanics that would stick around for the later installment.
- God of war II: The release date was March 13, 2007. Platforms: PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita. After two years later God of war II was released, it a sequel to the original game that expands and improves upon the foundation that was set by the original.
- God of War: Betrayal: The release date was June 20, 2007. Platforms: Java ME. This is the least remarkable entry in the series, God of War: Betrayal was released soon after God of War II for mobile phones running Java, making it the only God of war game not to be released on a PlayStation platform.
- God of war: Chains of Olympus: the release date was March 4, 2008. Platform: PlayStation 3, PlayStation portable. God of war: Chains of Olympus is a PSP title that brought the full God of war experience to a handheld console for the first time.
- God of war III: The release date was March 16, 2010. Platforms: PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4. Another big title was released for the PlayStation 3, having truly showcased the 7th generation console’s capabilities – the spectacular God of war III. The game picks up where God of war II left off.
- God of war: Ghost of Sparta: the release date was March 16, 2010. Platforms: PlayStation 3, PlayStation portable. Moving on to another game similar to Chains of Olympus and it’s called God of war: Ghost of Sparta. It is much like the previous PSP game this time between the original God of war and Betrayal.
- God of war: Ascension: The release date is March 12, 2013. Platforms: PlayStation 3. This is a PlayStation game that rather than continuing where God of war III left off, took us on yet another journey through the events that transpired in the past, before the actual events of the original God of War.
- God of war (2018): The release date is April 20, 2018. Platforms: PlayStation 4. This is the latest entry in the franchise – God of war, which is often referred to as God of war (2018) to distinguish it from the original 2005 game.
It brought much-needed refreshment to the game’s plot and mechanics and it quickly became the most popular and the fastest-selling entry in the franchise to date, not to mention yet another entry in a string of super Playstation 4 exclusives.